Monday, July 31, 2006

Blasphemous insults.

It is almost guaranteed that at the end of a theological discussion with a god lover, when they can see that I am obviously winning, they will start throwing out ridiculous “What if’s” in desperation.

In exasperation at their futile attempts to charge my windmill I will utter an expletive such as “Oh my god” or “Jesus Christ”
My opponent will always point an accusing finger at me and triumphantly announce “Ha, see you do believe in god because you just said his name”

I am then forced to point out that to me Jesus Christ is simply a swear word and “God” is a great word to show astonishment.
Nothing more.

If we had a better announcement of surprise than “Oh my god” I would use it but we don’t. It is part of our lexicon. As are other favorites like:

“Holy Cow”
“Mary Mother of God!”
Jesus H. Christ”
“Christ on a Stick”
“Hell”
“Bloody Hell” (This is short for By Our lady)
“Hells Bells”

Please help me compile a list of other blasphemous insults.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One I heard amongst Catholics in Ireland (that is, Catholics with a sense of humor): "Jaysus, Mary and Joseph -- and the wee little donkey too..."

And for a bit more oomph, if you are particularly determined to ensure no crusifix junkie will accuse you of accidentally paying lip service to their oogaboogah magic: "Jesus buttfucking Judas!"