Thursday, October 26, 2006

Little Johnny comes home from school 100 years from now.

Johnny: High mom, high dad.

Mom: High Johnny. How was school today dear?

Johnny: It was okay. Eddie Wisnall came to class with a toad from the creek near his house, I got a B on my math test and, oh yeah, the school nurse told me I have a brain tumor in my frontal cor, cort….

Dad: Cortex. It’s your frontal cortex. It’s the part of the brain where you do your higher level thinking and planning.

Johnny: Is that serious then dad?

Dad: Sure is Johnny. If we let it grow you’d be unable to think things at all. Come into the kitchen and I’ll get rid of it for you.

Mom: The pills are next to the coffee. I used one today for Mrs. Bennett next door.

Dad: Here Johnny, take one of these and drink this.

Johnny: Thanks dad. I sure am glad my thinking wont be messed up.

Dad: I agree. Did you know that just 100 years ago people tried to stop pills like these from being invented?

Johnny: No! Why dad? That is crazy.

Dad: It sure is Johnny. Well there were these people, lots and lots of them in fact, that thought that the world was run by magic.

Johnny: Magic?! How come dad?

Dad: Well Johnny, there were what we call “religious” They thought that the world and everything in it was created and run by an invisible creature and that this creature wanted them to live their lives a certain way and one of those ways was to stop scientists doing research into what are called “Stem cells”


To be continued……..

2 comments:

beepbeepitsme said...

Very good :)

Anonymous said...

Very, very nice work. You put it in such a way that.. well, even religious people cannot argue with.