Friday, December 30, 2005

Morals and the Athiest.

A few days ago, on his syndicated talk radio show, Mitch Albom, during a discussion of the “Afterlife” stated that if people didn’t believe in a life after this one there would be chaos and anarchy in the world (I don’t fully remember his words and so I’m paraphrasing).

As an atheist who firmly believes there is no such thing as an afterlife I take exception to that.

I am not running amok, causing chaos and anarchy. I am one of the most moral and principled people I know.
In fact, my morals and principles mean more than those of someone who believes in god because I’m not doing it just to get into heaven. I'm not franticly trying to "curry favour" with some imaginary being who gets to decide if I should burn in hell or not.
I don’t lie, cheat and steal because I don’t want to lie, cheat and steal. Not because I’m scared of some kind of retribution after I die.

Now please don’t get me wrong. I’m not a goody goody who thinks he’s better than everyone else. (Just better than believers).

I love pervy sex as much as the next man (Just not with the next man)

No comments: