Sunday, August 12, 2007

Back into the fray.

Okay.

I’m getting back into the fray.

I can no longer drive past churches filled with cars on a Sunday morning and remain silent.
I can no longer listen to the stupid declarations of news casters on Fox news and not get angry.
I can no longer watch the devolution of our species as hysteria over imaginary gods takes hold without fighting back.

I am now going to fight back.

I was at a friends house recently enjoying a lovely afternoon when I saw that she had a curious book on the floor near her coffee table. It was entitled “A Christian Agenda”
- A Game Plan For A New Era - by Marlin Maddoux and Christopher Corbet.
Giving her the benefit of the doubt I never for a second believed that she would read such a thing, even though she does profess to believe in god. And I was right. She had bought it to resell on eBay.

I idly started reading the small paperback and after about 20 minutes a silent rage swept over me and the next thing I knew the book was in two halves, one in each of my hands.

I looked up at my friend, who had not witnessed the destruction of her book, with an obviously guilty look on my face because she inquired as to what was wrong. I didn’t say anything. Instead I simply tossed the two halves of the destroyed book on to the carpet before her. To my great relief she greeted the news with loud and long laughter.

It felt good.

I have never, ever, criticized someone for destroying a book because there is an enormous difference between destroying a book and destroying books. Plural. A single book is no more worthy of protection than a gaudy china statue of a pig dancing in a frilly dress. In fact one of my favourite pastimes now is to browse second hand shops, flea markets and garage sales for religious books, knick knacks and paraphernalia to take home and smash.

People can destroy books if they want. So long as they own them. I didn’t own this one and I therefore owe my friend an apology. My intention is to continue her plan and sell it on eBay.

The important difference between destroying a book and destroying books is who is doing it. If it’s an individual or a group of individuals that’s fine. If it’s the state that’s bad.

If you want to throw a copy of the Koran into a toilet I applaud your judgment. I would simply suggest that you be fair about it and throw copies of the bible in there also along with any other holy book you might own.

If hearing this upsets you and if you believe in god I make this promise to you. If you ever want to debate the existence of your supreme being with me I will win.

That is not such a boastful claim as it first might appear because quite simply I have all the logic, reason and evidence on my side. You have nothing. NOTHING.
You have no logic.
You have no reason.
And you have absolutely no evidence.
None!

No comments: